Local Government Officers work in a range of different departments to develop and implement council policies and procedures, departments could include education/skills, finance, health, housing, planning, social work, tourism, transport or leisure and recreation. They will work with councillors, administrators and other departments to assist in the creation, planning and monitoring of policies and procedures.
A degree or HND in business studies, economics, legal studies, politics or social administration and social policy would be preferable. Entry without a degree or HND is possible by starting at a lower level and working your way up.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A good knowledge of current affairs and relevant policies for the department you are in
- The ability to deal with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Good problem solving abilities
- Excellent organisational and negotiation skills
£16,000 to £20,000