Everyone looks to the Engineering Technicians to keep the ship moving. The Engineering Technicians look to you. Being a Marine Engineer Officer means leading the day-to-day maintenance of our most cutting-edge kit. Without you, vital operations wouldn’t happen. You’ll report directly to the Commanding Officer when there’s a problem, and be relied upon to make key decisions when it matters most.
- You’ll need to be aged 17 – 29
- All Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) degrees with be considered
- If you take your A-levels after the start of 2017, you need 72 UCAS points, including two non-overlapping subject areas; before 2017, you need 180 UCAS points
- If you take your GCSEs after the start of 2017, you need 5 at grades 9 – 4, including English Language and Maths; before 2017, you need 5 at grades A*– C
- Minimum height of 151.5cm and within the healthy range for Body Mass Index (BMI)
- A British or Irish national, a Commonwealth citizen who has lived in the UK continuously for the 5 years prior to applying, or a dual national
What you need to be eligible to be an officer:
- nationality and residency
- criminal convictions
- tattoos and piercings
click here for more details.
Day One - Start phase one training, learn basic military skills
Professional Training - Learn core engineering principles
First Year - Learn management theory, develop your own style of leadership
First Promotion - Become Sub-Lieutenant, further training, increased responsibility
Second Promotion - Become Lieutenant, and manage the department day-to-day
National Government Policy states that all students should have achieved at least a Grade 4 or C Grade in English & Maths at GCSE. Achieving this minimum grade in these subjects will increase the opportunities open to you, support your future career development and prospects.
Students who do not meet this standard will be supported to continue to study English and Maths through full-time education or an Apprenticeship.
- You will need to have a keen interest in engineering
- An ability to thrive on responsibility and lead from the front
- Confidence in making decisions
- Good at managing people
- A sense of adventure
- Strong team working abilities
£25,000 to £32,000