Investment Operations Specialists work within the operational and administrative areas of businesses within the financial services industry that are involved with investment management and consultancy. They will be involved with investment transactions on behalf of their clients ranging from private individuals and small businesses to pension funds, charities, corporations and governments within the UK and overseas.
To enter at graduate level you would need at least a 2:1 degree ideally in one of the following subjects, although applications from all graduates may be considered
- Business studies
Work experience at an investment bank or in a position of responsibility would be helpful and could give you an advantage.
Graduate schemes are very competitive and some employers will require a first class degree.
Entry is possible through a Level 4 apprenticeship, to apply you will usually need at least five GCSE's grades 9-4 (A-C) including English and Maths and Level 3 qualifications (A levels, NVQ/SVQ Level 3, or a BTEC National). Some employers will require applicants to have subjects related to the particular apprenticeship.
The apprentice will complete an appropriate qualification/examinations (as considered most relevant by the employer) from one of the following Professional Bodies:
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment - Investment Operations Certificate; Certificate in Investment Management; Investment Advice Diploma; Managing Operational Risk in Financial Institution.
- CFA Institute / CFA UK - Investment Management Certificate
Career Path and Progression
If you're on a graduate development programme you'll undergo a structured set of training courses and coaching sessions, to develop the knowledge, skills and experience needed to become a manager, typically over a two-year period.
Continued success can lead to promotion into senior management roles, although competition for these roles is high and progression is likely to be slow.
- Excellent communication skills, especially in influencing others
- A strong customer services ethic
- The ability to work in a team
- Confident in making decisions
- Excellent numeracy and analytical skills
- Good time management and able to work to deadlines
£25,000 to £50,000