Holiday representatives looks after customers on a package holiday. This will involve accompanying them on transport, in hotels and on activities, providing them with information, assistance and dealing with queries and questions. Hours can be unsociable, working weekends and evenings.
You can get into this job through:
You can do a college course like a Level 2 Diploma in Travel and Tourism, which you may find useful when looking for work.
You'll usually need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
The following local colleges offer courses in Travel and Tourism:
- City College Norwich
- East Coast College
- Suffolk New College
- The College of West Anglia
- West Suffolk College
Or your local 6th form may offer a relevant course.
You could do a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in a subject like travel and tourism, although this isn't essential for this role.
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
To apply directly for resort representative jobs, you'll usually need:
- to be 18 years old
- experience of working with the public
- four GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) including English and maths
To work as a children's representative you would usually be expected to have a qualification in childcare, like a Level 2 Certificate for Children and Young People’s Workforce.
You may need specialist knowledge or skills for some holiday jobs, for example, as a winter sports representative you may need to be able to ski at an advanced level.
It can also help if you have a good working knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
Career Path and Progression
You could progress to senior resort representative or regional manager.
You could go on to work in tourist information centres, or for tourist boards or travel agencies.
You could also become a self-employed tour guide.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Airline customer service agent
- Tour manager
- Tourist guide
- Tourist information centre assistant
- Travel agent
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Confident in your own abilities
- Good at public speaking
- Able to keep calm in difficult situations and when under pressure
- Good organisational skills
- A common sense approach
- Good listening and negotiation skills
- Good problem solving abilities
£5,500 to £9,500