Plasterers mix and paste plaster onto walls, floors and ceilings to prepare them for decoration. Plasterers are often self employed but can be sub-contracted to a larger construction firm and could work on housing developments, offices and in people's homes.
Plastering is a very skilled job and there is a high demand for good plasterers.
There are no set requirements, but employers will look for some experience, you could take a college course or get into the role through an apprenticeship
A college curse will teach you some of the skills required for the job. Relevant courses include
- Building & Property Maintenance Diploma Level 2
- Plastering Level 1 or 2
- Technical Diploma in Plastering Level 3
The following colleges may offer relevant courses
You could get into this role through an intermediate apprenticeships in plastering which would involved on the job training and time with a college or training provider.
You'll usually need:
- GCSEs or equivalent usually including English and maths
Work based route
You could get started as a plasterer's 'mate' or labourer. Many employers will look for some on-site experience.
You'll need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card to work on a building site and to improve your career prospects.
Go Construct has more information on construction careers and qualifications.
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could progress to supervisory jobs or move into related areas like tiling, estimating and site management.
You could become self-employed and work as a sub-contractor.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Ceiling fixer
- Construction labourer
- Dry liner
- Kitchen and bathroom fitter
- You will need to have physical stamina
- Good upper body strength as well as hand-eye co-ordination skills are required
- You need to be generally practical
- You need to be able to work to deadlines and pay attention to detail
- The ability to use your initiative
- Good team working abilities
- Able to remain calm in stressful situations
£19,000 to £35,000