Electronics Engineer will apply their knowledge of electrons and electrical components to design electronic systems, devices and circuits which can be used in mobile phones, acoustics, medical instruments, defence, nanotechnology and radio and satellite communication.
You can get into job through:
You can do a degree apprenticeship as an embedded electronic systems design and development engineer.
This usually takes 3 years to complete. You'll do on-the-job training and spend time at a college or training provider.
You can also do a postgraduate level electronics systems principal engineer apprenticeship.
To do this, you'll need a degree in electronic engineering or a related subject.
You'll usually need 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a degree apprenticeship.
Click here to search for an apprenticeship.
You'll usually need a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in a relevant electronics subject.
Employers may accept related subjects if electronics was covered as part of the course. Examples include:
- aerospace engineering
- physics and applied physics
- computer science
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
Click here to search for a suitable course.
You could start as an electrical or electronics engineering technician and do training on the job to qualify as an engineer.
Career Path and Progression
With incorporated or chartered engineer status you could:
- move into project management roles
- specialise in research, such as telecommunications, robotics or semiconductors
- work as an engineering consultant
You could also move into patent law.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Aerospace engineer
- Broadcast engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Electronics engineering technician
- Materials engineer
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- A high level of technical knowledge
- Good IT skills
- Health and safety awareness
- The ability to multi task
- Good communication skills
- Strong team working abilities
- The ability to translate complex ideas into understandable concepts
£21,000 to £65,000