The Payroll Manager will organise payroll for companies/organisations ensuring that their employees get paid on time. They will manage payroll administrators and ensure that they are up to date with payroll legislation.
Other duties may include:
- Creating policies and procedures
- Manage the computer software and systems
- Analysing and reporting on financial data
- Checking and auditing payroll to make sure regulations are met
They will also need to ensure that all of the required information is sent to HMRC.
You’ll usually need up to 5 years’ experience in payroll before progressing into management.
You’ll also need a good knowledge of payroll legislation.
It’ll help if you have a payroll qualification from either Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals (CIPP) or International Association of Book-keepers(IAB).
You may be able to join a payroll department with experience as a manager or team leader in another type of office environment, but you’ll usually need some experience of accounts.
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could work in the finance department of larger companies or public sector organisations like local authorities or the NHS.
You could move into pensions management or do further training to qualify as an accountant.
You could also work for a payroll bureau that provides payroll services to other companies.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Management accountant
- Payroll administrator
National Government Policy states that all students should have achieved at least a Grade 4 or C Grade in English & Maths at GCSE. Achieving this minimum grade in these subjects will increase the opportunities open to you, support your future career development and prospects.
Students who do not meet this standard will be supported to continue to study English and Maths through full-time education or an Apprenticeship.
- Good mathematical and IT skills
- Excellent communication abilities
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- An organised approach
- The ability to lead and motivate a team
- Able to time manage effectively to meet deadlines
- Honesty and integrity
- Respect for confidential information
- Good problem solving abilities
£22,000 to £50,000