The Ship's Captain has the overall responsibility for - and command of the ship, its passengers, cargo and the crew. They will ensure procedures are followed and safety measures are adhered to. They will also be responsible for the loading and unloading of passengers and cargo.
Vessels that Captains command can vary greatly with assignment and experience - from small to medium fishing and leisure boats to barges, ferries, freighters and cruise ships.
To become a Captain you will have at least 5 years in a lower position on a ship.
Initially you could join the merchant navy as an officer cadet or marine apprentice from the age of 16 onwards.
The Merchant Navy Deck Officer job description provides further details of how to get started.
- Confidence with the ability to lead and motivate others
- Technical abilities
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to travel
- Good problem solving abilities
- Good maths skills
- Ability to keep calm in emergency situations
- Observation and recording skills
- Resourcefulness and flexibility
£40,000 - £100,000