Insurance Sales Advisors sell insurance to new and existing customers often over the phone. The type of insurance sold varies according to the insurance company you are working for but the main areas tend to be home, building, motor, life, health, pet, holiday etc., Duties will include calculating premiums, advising customers on the cover they need and interviewing prospective clients.
You could get into this role through an apprenticeship, taking a college course or applying directly.
You could do an advanced apprenticeship as an insurance practitioner or financial services administrator.
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could take a college course which will give you some of the skills and knowledge needed, relevant courses include:
Level 2 or 3 business administration.
For your course you will usually need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
The following colleges may offer a relevant course:
- City College Norwich
- East Coast College
- Paston College
- One Sixth Form College
- Suffolk New College
- College of West Anglia
- West Suffolk College
You could apply directly for vacancies, you will need to have skills in common office software packages and be able to communicate well. Employers will probably prefer you to have GCSEs especially in English and maths. Previous experience in a customer service or office role would be beneficial.
- Excellent sales ability
- Able to meet and exceed targets
- Good admin and IT skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work under pressure
- Excellent telephone manner
- Good customer service abilities
£18,000 to £25,000