A Database Administrator will be responsible for maintaining and developing data base systems to ensure they are performing correctly and meeting the companies needs. They will ensure data is stored securely and optimally and will also be involved in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.
You could get into this job through:
You may be able to get into this job through a digital and technology solutions specialist degree apprenticeship, or an advanced or higher apprenticeship for IT, software, web and telecoms professionals.
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a higher or degree apprenticeship
Click here to search for an apprenticeship.
You could study for a higher national diploma, degree or postgraduate qualification before joining a company training scheme. Useful subjects include:
- computer science
- business information systems
- software engineering
- information technology management
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in any subject for a postgraduate course
Click here to search for a suitable course.
You may be able to apply directly for a place on a graduate training scheme. These are often open to non-IT graduates as well as those with a computing qualification.
Experience in IT support, programming or web development will help.
You'll need to know structured query language (SQL) and database management systems (DBMS).
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could move into IT project management or systems analysis, web development or network management.
You could also become self-employed, or move into consultancy.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Information scientist
- IT project manager
- IT security coordinator
- Software developer
- excellent computer skills
- the ability to work to deadlines
- attention to detail
- a logical approach
- good problem solving abilities
- able to work well on your own
£22,000 to £70,000